Skip to main content

Solitary Reaper by William Wordsworth

Solitary Reaper 


File:William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905) - Laurel Branch (1900 ...


Behold her, single in the field,
Yon solitary Highland Lass!
Reaping and singing by herself;
Stop here, or gently pass!
Alone she cuts and binds the grain,
And sings a melancholy strain;
O listen! for the Vale profound
Is overflowing with the sound.
No Nightingale did ever chaunt
More welcome notes to weary bands
Of travellers in some shady haunt,
Among Arabian sands:
A voice so thrilling ne'er was heard
In spring-time from the Cuckoo-bird,
Breaking the silence of the seas
Among the farthest Hebrides
Will no one tell me what she sings?—
Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
For old, unhappy, far-off things,
And battles long ago:
Or is it some more humble lay,
Familiar matter of to-day?
Some natural sorrow, loss, or pain,
That has been, and may be again?
Whate'er the theme, the Maiden sang
As if her song could have no ending;
I saw her singing at her work,
And o'er the sickle bending;—
I listened, motionless and still;
And, as I mounted up the hill,
The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more.

by William Wordsworth 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bank Account - Stephen Leacock

My Bank Account Stephen Leacock my bank account  When I go into a bank I get nervous. The clerks make me nervous; the little windows at the counters make me nervous the sight of the money makes me nervous; everything makes me nervous. The moment I go through the door of a bank and attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I knew this before I went in, but my salary had been raised to fifty six dollars a month and I felt that the bank was the only place. For it. So I walked in with dragging feet and looked shyly round at the clerks. I had an idea that a person about to open an account was obliged to consult the manager. I went up to a counter marked ‘Accountant’. The Accountant was a tall, cool fellow. The very sight of him made me nervous. My voice was deep and hollow . can I see the manager? I said, and added solemnly alone. I don’t know why I said ‘alone’. certainly, siad the accountant, and fetch...

Three days to see full chapter - Helen Keller

Three Days to See by Helen Keller I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being was stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some time during his early adult life. Darkness would make him more appreciative of sight; silence would teach him the joys of sound. Now and then I have tested my seeing friends to discover what they see. Recently I asked a friend, who had just returned from a long walk in the woods, what she had observed, “Nothing in particular,” she Replied How was it possible, I asked myself, to walk for an hour through the woods and see nothing worthy of note? I, Who cannot see, find hundereds of things to intrest me through mere touch. I feel the delicate symmetry of a leaf. I pass my hands livingly about the soomth skin of a silver birch, or the rough, shaggy bark of a pine. In spring I touch the breches of trees hopefully in search of a bud, the first sign of awakening Nature after her winter’s sleep. Occasionally, if i am very fortunate,...

Tree by Tina Morris

Tree They did not tell us What it would be like without trees. Nobody imagined that the whispering of leaves Would grow silent Or the vibrant jade of spring Pale to grey Death. And now we pile Rubbish on rubbish But though the shape is right And the nailed branches Lean upon the wind and plastic leaves lend colour to the twigs. We wait in vain for the slow unfurling of buds. And no amount of loving can stir our weary tree to singing.                               - Tina Morris