Skip to main content

Gitanjali Song 1 - Rabindranath tagore

Gitanjali 

 

Thou hast made me endless, such is thy

Pleasure. This frail vessel thou emptiest

Angain and again, and fillest it ever with fresh life.

This little flute of a reed thou hast

Carried over hills and dales. And hast

Breathed though it melodies eternally new.

At the immortal touch of thy hands my

Little heart looses its limits in joy and gives

Birth to utterance ineffable.

Thy infinite gifts come to me only on

these very small hands of mine. Ages pass

 and still thou pourest, and still there is room to fill


2 


In one salutation to thee, my God, let

All my senses spread out and touch this

World at thy feet. Like a rain-cloud of july hung low

With its burden of unshed showers let all

My mind bend down at thy door in one

Salutation to thee

Let all my songs gather together

 their diverse strains into a single current and

Flow to a sea of silence in one salutation to thee.

Like a flock of homesick cranes flying

Night and day back to their mountain

Nests let all my life take its voyage to its

Eternal home in one salutation to thee.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bank Account - Stephen Leacock

My Bank Account Stephen Leacock my bank account  When I go into a bank I get nervous. The clerks make me nervous; the little windows at the counters make me nervous the sight of the money makes me nervous; everything makes me nervous. The moment I go through the door of a bank and attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I knew this before I went in, but my salary had been raised to fifty six dollars a month and I felt that the bank was the only place. For it. So I walked in with dragging feet and looked shyly round at the clerks. I had an idea that a person about to open an account was obliged to consult the manager. I went up to a counter marked ‘Accountant’. The Accountant was a tall, cool fellow. The very sight of him made me nervous. My voice was deep and hollow . can I see the manager? I said, and added solemnly alone. I don’t know why I said ‘alone’. certainly, siad the accountant, and fetch...

Three days to see full chapter - Helen Keller

Three Days to See by Helen Keller I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being was stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some time during his early adult life. Darkness would make him more appreciative of sight; silence would teach him the joys of sound. Now and then I have tested my seeing friends to discover what they see. Recently I asked a friend, who had just returned from a long walk in the woods, what she had observed, “Nothing in particular,” she Replied How was it possible, I asked myself, to walk for an hour through the woods and see nothing worthy of note? I, Who cannot see, find hundereds of things to intrest me through mere touch. I feel the delicate symmetry of a leaf. I pass my hands livingly about the soomth skin of a silver birch, or the rough, shaggy bark of a pine. In spring I touch the breches of trees hopefully in search of a bud, the first sign of awakening Nature after her winter’s sleep. Occasionally, if i am very fortunate,...

Tree by Tina Morris

Tree They did not tell us What it would be like without trees. Nobody imagined that the whispering of leaves Would grow silent Or the vibrant jade of spring Pale to grey Death. And now we pile Rubbish on rubbish But though the shape is right And the nailed branches Lean upon the wind and plastic leaves lend colour to the twigs. We wait in vain for the slow unfurling of buds. And no amount of loving can stir our weary tree to singing.                               - Tina Morris