Skip to main content

Mending wall By Robert Frost

 Mending Wall 


Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
‘Stay where you are until our backs are turned!’
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
‘Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.’ I could say ‘Elves’ to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’


Difficult words 

Spill = गिरा देना

Boulders = शिलाखण्‍ड, बड़ा गोल पत्‍थर

Abreast = साथ साथ 

Hunter = शिकारी

Yelping = तीखी आवाज़

Spell जादुई मंत्र

Pine = देवदार

Orchard = बगीचा, उपवन

Fences =  घेरा, बाड़ा

Mischief = नुकसान, हानि 

Notion = धारणा

Offense = अपराध

Elves = a creature like a small person with pointed ears, who has magic powers

Savage = खूंखार

 

 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bank Account - Stephen Leacock

My Bank Account Stephen Leacock my bank account  When I go into a bank I get nervous. The clerks make me nervous; the little windows at the counters make me nervous the sight of the money makes me nervous; everything makes me nervous. The moment I go through the door of a bank and attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I knew this before I went in, but my salary had been raised to fifty six dollars a month and I felt that the bank was the only place. For it. So I walked in with dragging feet and looked shyly round at the clerks. I had an idea that a person about to open an account was obliged to consult the manager. I went up to a counter marked ‘Accountant’. The Accountant was a tall, cool fellow. The very sight of him made me nervous. My voice was deep and hollow . can I see the manager? I said, and added solemnly alone. I don’t know why I said ‘alone’. certainly, siad the accountant, and fetched h

Light the Lamp of Thy Love - Rabindranath Tagore

    Light the Lamp of Thy Love In my house, with thine own hands, Light the lamp of Thy Love! Thy Transmuting Lamp entrancing, Wondrous are its rays. Change my darkness to Thy light, Lord! Change my Darkness to Thy light, And my evil into good Touch me but once and I will change, All my clay into thy gold All the sense lamps that I did light Sooted into worries Sitting at the door of my soul Light Thy resurrecting lamp!   Word Meaning Transmuting - बदलना   Entrancing - मनोहर Wondrous - चमत्‍कारी Darkness – अंधकार , अज्ञानता Evil – अशुभ , बुरा Sooted – काजल Sense lamps – 5 इंद्रिया Worries – चिंता , दुख Resurrecting- पुर्नजीवित होना  

Tree by Tina Morris

Tree They did not tell us What it would be like without trees. Nobody imagined that the whispering of leaves Would grow silent Or the vibrant jade of spring Pale to grey Death. And now we pile Rubbish on rubbish But though the shape is right And the nailed branches Lean upon the wind and plastic leaves lend colour to the twigs. We wait in vain for the slow unfurling of buds. And no amount of loving can stir our weary tree to singing.                               - Tina Morris