Skip to main content

Report of an Adjourned Case by William Cowper

 


Report of an Adjourned Case

 

Between Nose and Eyes a strange contest arose,
The spectacles set them unhappily wrong;
The point in dispute was, as all the world knows,
To which the said spectacles ought to belong.

So the Tongue was the Lawyer and argued the cause
With a great deal of skill, and a wig full of learning,
While chief baron Ear sat to balance the laws,
So famed for his talent in nicely discerning.

In behalf of the Nose, it will quickly appear,
And your lordship, he said, will undoubtedly find,
That the Nose has had spectacles always in wear,
Which amounts to possession time out of mind.

Again, would your lordship a moment suppose
('Tis a case that has happened and may be again),
That the visage or countenance had not a Nose,
Pray who would or who could wear spectacles then?

Then holding the spectacles up to the court, -
Your lordship observes they are made with a straddle,
As wide as the ridge of the Nose is, in short,
Designed to sit close to it, just like a saddle.

On the whole it appears, and my argument shows
With a reasoning the court will never condemn,
That the spectacles plainly were made for the Nose,
And the Nose was as plainly intended for them.

Then shifting his side, as a lawyer knows how,
He pleaded again in behalf of the Eyes,
But what were his arguments few people know,
For the court did not think they were equally wise.

So his lordship decreed, with a grave solemn tone,
Decisive and clear, without on if or but, -
That whenever the Nose put his spectacles on,
By daylight or candlelight - Eyes should be shut.

 

difficult words

Spectacles = चश्‍मा

Ought = होना चाहिए

Wig = खास़ बोली 

Baron = अमीर और इज्‍जतदार व्‍यक्ति

Discerning = कुशाग्रबुद्धि

Possession = धारण

Lordship = श्रीमान

Visage = चेहरा

Countenance = अनुग्रह

Ridge = टीला

Saddle = घोड़े की जीन  

Condemn = निराकरण

Decreed = अदालती हुक्‍म

Decisive = सोचा समझा  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bank Account - Stephen Leacock

My Bank Account Stephen Leacock my bank account  When I go into a bank I get nervous. The clerks make me nervous; the little windows at the counters make me nervous the sight of the money makes me nervous; everything makes me nervous. The moment I go through the door of a bank and attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I attempt to do business there, I become an irresponsible fool. I knew this before I went in, but my salary had been raised to fifty six dollars a month and I felt that the bank was the only place. For it. So I walked in with dragging feet and looked shyly round at the clerks. I had an idea that a person about to open an account was obliged to consult the manager. I went up to a counter marked ‘Accountant’. The Accountant was a tall, cool fellow. The very sight of him made me nervous. My voice was deep and hollow . can I see the manager? I said, and added solemnly alone. I don’t know why I said ‘alone’. certainly, siad the accountant, and fetch...

Three days to see full chapter - Helen Keller

Three Days to See by Helen Keller I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being was stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some time during his early adult life. Darkness would make him more appreciative of sight; silence would teach him the joys of sound. Now and then I have tested my seeing friends to discover what they see. Recently I asked a friend, who had just returned from a long walk in the woods, what she had observed, “Nothing in particular,” she Replied How was it possible, I asked myself, to walk for an hour through the woods and see nothing worthy of note? I, Who cannot see, find hundereds of things to intrest me through mere touch. I feel the delicate symmetry of a leaf. I pass my hands livingly about the soomth skin of a silver birch, or the rough, shaggy bark of a pine. In spring I touch the breches of trees hopefully in search of a bud, the first sign of awakening Nature after her winter’s sleep. Occasionally, if i am very fortunate,...

Tree by Tina Morris

Tree They did not tell us What it would be like without trees. Nobody imagined that the whispering of leaves Would grow silent Or the vibrant jade of spring Pale to grey Death. And now we pile Rubbish on rubbish But though the shape is right And the nailed branches Lean upon the wind and plastic leaves lend colour to the twigs. We wait in vain for the slow unfurling of buds. And no amount of loving can stir our weary tree to singing.                               - Tina Morris